The Complete Morals: A Quick Guide to Good Living
Bitterness is an acid that destroys its own container. Bitterness causes psychological agitation, leads to mental illness, and destroys one's health. The one and only exit is forgiveness.
Major Acts of Forgiveness:
- Pardoning those who have wronged and oppressed you
- Failing to pardon hardens the heart and causes a build-up of bitterness. Bitterness is an acid that destroys its own container. Bitterness also causes psychological agitation. The only exit is forgiveness.
- Giving those who have deprived and failed you
- This, in fact, is a healing act. Giving is the cure for the devastating experience.
- Reaching out and connecting with those who have shunned you
- Quite often shunning is the result of confusion and misunderstandings; or injury to the self. In time, confusion subsides and injuries heal; the offended party might discover the truth and regret its act of abandonment.
- Benefiting and relieving those who have abused you
- Counseling those who have deceived you
- Seeking absolution for those who have slandered you
- Not only you would be freeing yourself from the injury, but also rising above their misdeed.
- Forbearing with those who have angered you
- Patience is fruitful. Angry people are quite often under a lot of stress. Being patient with them defuses them. Quite often, people don’t know what they are doing. Teach them a lesson by example.
Nelly Aramesh and Sam Bazzi discuss forgiveness on NITV United